Friday, September 19, 2008

PHLOOQ AND THE LATE ENTRANTS INTO THE DESIGN FRAY

My intention for today's post was to layout the dimensions of my decision-making criteria for choosing a design firm for PhlooQ's Web site and to then announce my decision.

PhlooQ will be taking its social engagement widget (see phlooq.com for an example) out to market with a group of publishers over the next 30-60 days. Before we do this we need to create a Web site that represents to publishers the value of what we do, how we do it, and even issue them a dare to see how far they can take PhlooQ's widget.

The widget and the basic metrics service behind the widget are free...so publishers are welcome to make a request for a widget for as wide ranging of a purpose as they can imagine. Quite frankly, the crazier the implementation the better!

Anyways, as I was laying out the dimensions for evaluating Skona, BayCreative, and Kasman/Squillante I received three additional requests to submit a proposal from firms that want to take a crack at the site. Lift Agency and Square2 have now entered the fray. And there is one more firm that looks like they may submit a proposal as well.

I've given all of these design firms our value proposition, one page summary, and backgrounder material. I've also run them through the Widget experience and other demos. So they all know what we are up to...

But no decision will get made today...

That does not stop me from laying out my thinking. In my decision making process I will be looking at in order the following dimensions:

1. My belief in the flexibility and dexterity of the mind's sitting across the table from me. Essentially I have to believe the group I am working with is smarter than me in as many ways as possible when it comes to developing our Web site.

2. My belief the people doing the work are capable of the creative thinking required to wrap a unique offering like PhlooQ into a design/offering that is both organic to PhlooQ and yet brings real eye-opening value to its brand, product, and experience.

3. My estimation of the record of demonstrated design skill and my affection for the design work of the group. If you rock, you rock! If I have to guess at what I might get or if I feel their is risk that what I might get will not sync with team, product, market, publishers and users then my estimation of capability in this dimension will be reduced. Think of this as the design team having a Voice I trust.

4. How I feel about the people...the vibe. This is #4 on my list...not a top priority because I can tell you that just because I like some one there is no guarantee they will perform. In fact often affinity with a contractor has led me astray. I cut people I "like" more slack and do not hold them to my typically high standards. Hiring a contract team is not the same as building an internal team. Building an internal team requires the highest of capability but also requires some dimension of camaraderie. Even then capability has to be there. Wow...what I mean is that I can't discount that I like some people more than others when I meet them. This will come into play when making a decision. Especially if this effort works out and I want t do more work with the firm.

5. What the cost of the project will be will come into play. While a difference on a proposal of a few grand here or there in most companies won't make difference, in the world of the start-up it always does. All things being equal or near equal...budget then becomes the driver. That said, no one wants to pay for an effort they don't believe in. So I will initially eliminate proposals based on higher priority criteria and then, of course, it comes down to price.

6. Speed...baby...baby speed. How fast, without compromising quality do I believe this firm will figure out what we do and get us moving towards a completed site? If I sense a firm thinks of a 60 day window as "too short" then I get the heeby jeebies. I need high intensity responsiveness without compromising any of the dimensions I established in 1-5. Think of this as having the requisite fidelity for my needs at all the right times.

Okay so there you go...the 6 dimensions of decison making criteria I will use for engaging with a designer on the PhlooQ.com Web site.

A couple of questions:

What dimensions/criteria did miss?

What did I miss that are a part of these dimensions?

No comments: