Tuesday, January 30, 2007

MARKUS GIESLER: iPOD STORIES

I was checking out Markus Giesler's research site at http://www.ipodstories.com/. Very impressive project! The ultimate 21st century consumer experience is and probably will be defined by the iPod experience. Understanding the iPod's susccess is like Ben Franklin's key on his kite. If you touch the chord of its power ZAP! The shock may fry you, but it may also give birth to quite an unexpected Eureka!

Giesler has some unique perspectives on how consumerism and planed obsolesence coincide. And he even suggests that consumers take action. The prime issue in summary is: What do you with an old iPod 1 year later after you've bought the new one? In an even worse case scenario, what if it breaks? What do you do? Well, off to the landfill it goes. But this non-sustainable business model as it applies to iPods is but the lightning rod for the larger issues faced by a tech trend consumerist market.

Why not send that old iPod to someone who will give you a couple of bucks for it? There is an emarging "sustainable growth" market around recycled and secondhand iPods. Even more interesting is that market is shifting from "the kid who couldn't afford it the first time around" to the "responsible consumer." I'd like to think of myself as a responsible consumer--so I'm putting into practice my preach!

I'm headed off to buy, yes, my very first iPod! And a second hand iPod it will be!

I bought mine here! http://stores.ebay.com/The-Drop-Spot

No comments: